As we discussed last week, shameless self-promotion is among the Top 10 Most Annoying Facebook Posts. However, there is a way to talk about your company, it’s history, and its people that welcomes users in and increases their likelihood of becoming advocates for your brand.
People follow brands on Facebook hoping to have a more intimate relationship with them than they get through email or website interactions. So why would you post only the information they can find on those platforms? Facebook (and other social media) is a place where you can ‘let your hair down’ and show another side of your business that not everyone gets to see.
The other side of that coin is to invite your followers to share things about their lives and passions as well. Social media is very much a two-way street.
So what kinds of things could you post about your company? Here are 5 ideas to get you started:
1. Photos of your office space. Give people a sense of who you are by sharing the place where you work.
2. Events that you and your employees attend or support. Let people know what you care about, whether it’s an industry conference, marathon race, or fundraiser.
3. Headshots of your employees. Especially if you mostly deal with people over the phone or internet, it’s nice for people to be able to put a face to a name.
4. Your position on a controversial issue. Of course, you need to know your audience and be careful doing this. But if an issue is close to your heart, consider sharing that.
5. The story of your company. Facebook’s Timeline feature allows you to post milestones and events – take advantage and fill it out completely to give people a sense of your history and your trajectory as a company.