On Wednesday, November 14th, Pinterest announced on their blog that the social sharing site now has a product designed for businesses. For those of you pulling the covers over your heads in an attempt to escape the Facebook for Business flashbacks, know that this will be a much less jarring transition. You will not lose functionality, you will not have to find all your apps in their new locations, and you will not have to reformat anything.
For the most part, the new platform seems to be much more about resources than it is about cosmetics. In their words:
“We want to help more businesses provide great content on Pinterest and make it easy to pin from their websites. Today, we’re taking a first step toward that goal with some free tools and resources.”
The home page of Pinterest for Business offers four areas in which the new platform will benefit them: Tell Your Story, Build A Community, Send Traffic Your Way, and Learn And Grow. In order to take advantage of these, you just have to go through the simple process of either converting to a business profile, or signing up for one if you are not already a user.
That process is:
1. Sign up with your business name. No more imitating personal profiles.
2. Verify your website. You’ll get a check mark badge to accompany your profile
3. Add new buttons and widgets. The Profile Widget, Board Widget, Pin It Button, and Follow Button.
And what’s your reward? Access to:
– Upcoming features and product updates that will keep you abreast of things coming down the pipeline so you can have a plan ready when new things are rolled out.
– Case studies of great brands that are successfully leveraging Pinterest, complete with metrics
– What Works, a Pinterest-generated best practices guide for getting you on the right track
– Guides and documentation – the official rules for using Pinterest in your promotional materials.
What else do you need to know? There are new Terms of Service associated with this new product, so make sure you’re familiar.
Now get converted and get back to pinning!