When you create a business Facebook page, Facebook automatically assigns it a long and ugly string of letters and numbers as the page’s URL. But a gobbledygook web address makes it hard for small business owners to direct customers to their Page (“Yeah, we’re on Facebook. Check us out at facebook.com/87%32af9”).
The solution? A short and sweet custom URL—something along the lines of facebook.com/bizname. Think of it like a vanity license plate. Read on to find out how to get a memorable username plus helpful hints on choosing the best one for your business.
How to Get a Custom URL:
- Log into your Facebook account
- Go to www.facebook.com/username and click “Continue” or “verify via mobile phone
- Enter your country code and phone number and click “Next”
- You will receive a verification code by text message. Enter the code into the pop-up window.
- When given the option of whether or not you’d like your mobile phone number to appear on your profile, simply check or uncheck the box depending on your preference and click “Submit.”
- Check Availability, Part 1: in the top box on this page, Facebook will suggest usernames for your Profile because you must get a username for your Profile before you can get a username/URL for your Page. Your Profile username and Page username must be different, so for this step choose a username that fits the personal Profile that’s the admin of your business Facebook page.
- Finally, we’re at the important step! The lower box, titled “Each Page can have a username,” is where you choose a username/URL for your business’s Page. Select your Page, type your desired username, and then click “Check Availability”.
If your desired name is available, review it carefully then click “Confirm” and “Okay.” Now your username is ready!
Tips for Choosing a Custom URL:
- keep it simple and descriptive of your business (ideally it will be as close as possible to your business name)
- you can only use letters (A-Z), numbers (0-9), or a period (“.”). You can’t use spaces or dashes
- make sure it’s easy to pronounce, spell, and remember
- don’t add “.com” to the end
- be careful what you choose as your username/URL, because you can’t edit or delete it once you claim it!
Head to facebook.com/username to pick out a custom URL for your page.
P.S. To see screenshots of the process, check out our guide to custom Facebook URLs on our Support page. Facebook also offers a Help Center section called Usernames: Facebook Pages. And here’s a helpful article on choosing a custom domain name, if you’d like to read some best practices before choosing a custom URL for your business’s Facebook Page.